Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Click to view my photography blog

Click to view my photography blog
Cliccare per vedere il mio blog di fotografia

IMPORTANT ---- DOWNLOADS

To download my FREE printables from 4 Shared you must either have a 4Shared account or register on the site (this is free) . This is the only way you can download my freebies saved in 4 Shared.


Per scaricare GRATIS i miei progetti salvati su 4Shared dovete avere un account con 4 Shared o registrare sul sito,( questo si fa gratis) . Questo è l'unico modo per scaricare i miei Freebies.

Saturday 29 October 2011

Dead Men's Bones - Ossa Dei Morti



While most blogs are posting Halloween crafts and recipes for this holiday, I thought I would dedicate a post to a Maltese traditional sweet called "Dead Men's Bones" or Ghadam tal mejtin ( in Maltese) that can be found in Malta at this time of the year.
These sweets are known locally in Malta but also in Sicily and in the south of Italy,  they are traditional almond filled pastries in the shape of bones. They are made in the middle of October and are served on All Soul’s Day, at the beginning of November when the Roman Catholic Church commemorates the deceased.
The Maltese recipe for Dead Men’s Bones has been handed down from generation to generation and the pastries have been made in Maltese families for several years. The Maltese recipe differs slightly from the one used in Sicily and Southern Italy.
These delicacies are made from biscuit pastry with an almond paste filling in the middle and coated with white sweet sugar icing. All confectioneries on the island sell these sweets and my sister bought me some to take home with me while I was visiting, I can assure you they are delicious.

There is also a peculiar tradition related to  these sweets ... one must say 3 ‘requiem aeternam ’(Eternal Rest ) per bite when eating them :-)
I found out this too late , my family and I had already finished them by the time I discovered this.
You will find the recipe here.

Mentre la maggior parte dei blog stanno dedicando i loro posts agli addobbi per Halloween e alle ricette per questa festa, io ho pensato di dedicare un post ad un dolce maltese tradizionale chiamato "ossa dei morti" o Ghadam tal mejtin (in maltese) che si trovano  a Malta in questo periodo dell'anno. 
Questi dolci sono conosciuti a Malta, ma anche in Sicilia e nel sud d'Italia, sono dei biscotti ripieni di pasta di mandorla e a forma di ossa. Sono fatti a metà di ottobre e sono serviti il giorno di Tutti i Santi, all'inizio di novembre, quando la Chiesa cattolica romana commemora i defunti. 
La ricetta di  questi dolci è stata tramandata di generazione in generazione e questi biscotti sono state fatte in famiglie maltesi per diversi anni. La ricetta Maltese è diversa da quella usata nel Sud d'Italia.
Queste prelibatezze sono realizzate in pasta di biscotto con  un ripieno di pasta di mandorle al centro e ricoperte di glassa bianca. Tutte le pasticcerie dell'isola vendono questi dolci e mia sorella mi ha comprato alcune per portare a casa con me, mentre ero in visita, vi posso assicurare che sono deliziosi.

Vi è anche una tradizione particolare legata a questi dolci ... si deve dire  3 'requiem aeternam'  per ogni morso quando si mangiano :-) 
Ho scoperto questo troppo tardi, la mia famiglia gli aveva già finiti quando ho scoperto questa cosa. 
Troverete una ricetta (Italiana) qui.

4 comments:

BlueRose said...

Hey girl, it is really good to hear from you as well. I think I forgot how to do this blogging it has been so long. I'm sure when I get to working on it again it will come back. I sure hope all is well with you C ya soon K♥

stefyfor said...

Ciao Sue,avevo sentito parlare in passato di questi biscotti,ma non li avevo mai visti. Dovrebbero essere buoni.
Stefy

Doreen said...

LOL Sue your comment about eating the 'Bones' before realising you were supposed to say the "Eternal Rest' prayers made me smile, you must have really enjoyed them!
Thanks for a great post and recipe too!
Hugs,
Doreen

Sue said...

TO
Doreen and Julie!
We didn't know about this when we ate them so I guess we 've been forgiven... there's always time to say the "eternal rest" prayer especially in this month of November, I hope to make up for this.
Hugs,
Sue.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails